Toothache is the pain the occurs around the teeth and jaws. Toothache pain can be caused by a variety of issues.
Not only can toothache cause excruciating pain, but it can also lead to facial swelling as well as flu like symptoms if not treated.
Regular check ups can be a great way to prevent a toothache from happening in the first place.
There can be various causes of toothache, such as;
- Tooth decay
- Cracked or damaged teeth or filling
- Teeth that are actively being moved during teeth straightening treatment
- Partially erupted teeth – that are covered by inflamed gum
- A dental abscess
Here are some steps you can take while you are waiting for your appointment
- Taking pain killers like paracetamol or ibubrofen
- Using salt water to rinse your mouth
- Applying a pain relief mouth gel to the affected area
- Consuming softer foods like scrambled eggs
- Avoid foods that are particularly hot or cold.
An examination from your dentist will be able to diagnose the reason for your toothache and devise a treatment plan.
Always remember early diagnoses increases the success of the procedure – that’s why preventative regular check ups are the gold standard.
To find out more about our toothache treatments or to arrange your appointment, please book now.